Friday, October 21, 2016

The summer is a distant memory... Camp Timanous, Raymond Maine is a boys summer camp where I grew up and learned many valuable lessons in my life. In particular the role models that came before taught me how to be a positive part of my community and more important how to be a good Man!


As I reflect on the past summer, it occurs to me that Camp Timanous where I spend each summer since 2009 and 1962-1978 before that. It has changed but at the same time the spirit of Timanous has not changed. The people change a little from year to year and a lot from generation to generation. The weather and climate is changing from day to day and from year to year. Some years are more wet where some years, like 2016 the weather is a perfect balance of rain and warm weather. The activities do not change much though different counselors bring a different energy to their craft. More cabins and additions are built, boats are retired and new boats take their place in the water. The idea of Timanous does not change. Working and playing outside, no technology, positive role modeling and praise of a good deed. The community is the key. It is a thriving positive accepting of differences special kind of place that makes it something people want to be a part of. A place people want to come back to as long as they can. There are a lot of choices out there for boys and young men to do in the summers. But many Timanous alum come back year after year to be part of the special community of Camp. Body, Mind and Spirit lives in us and we hold onto it until we can get back to Raymond Maine and recharge the spirit! I don't know whats in store for me next summer, but if i can spend it at Camp Timanous that's a pretty great way to go!

 Now I'm painting a series of Batiks to try to capture the spirit of Camp Timanous as it celebrates the 100th anniversary! All the people who have gone there before me, who are there now, and for years to come. I hope these images ring true.






No comments:

Post a Comment